|One of our Chefs cooking at a recent Growing Healthy Kids in the Kitchen program.|
|Nancy with one of the kids attending a Growing Healthy Kids in the Kitchen program in Vero Beach.|
Tonight, Dave the Raw Food Trucker will be in Vero Beach to share his story at The Cloudwalker Place (between the Kmart and Goodwill stores on US 1 at 14th Street). A truck driver who used to be 430 pounds, was on 19 medications, and had several conditions including diabetes, this guy changed what he was eating and lost the weight – and the diabetes including, acid reflux disease, high blood pressure, kidney disease. He is on a national tour to raise awareness about healthy eating – my kind of guy!
monthly education program, GROWING WELLNESS
CHAMPIONS, for 2nd and 3rd grade students at Vero Beach Elementary School and their parents. At each month’s event, we prepare a delicious dinner using locally grown foods and share recipes and resources to help parents and kids eat great foods. Tomorrow we are featuring locally grown tomatoes, green peppers and onions, complements of Osceola Organic Farm and making Pizza – Designed by kids for kids. The focus of the pizza is using a crust high in dietary fiber so everyone gets filled up. We have made these pizzas for hundreds of kids and they all love making and eating it. If you live in the area and would like to attend, please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org for event details. In case you live in Idaho or Ohio, here is the recipe for what the kids and I will be making tomorrow for dinner (with veggies courtesy of Osceola Organic Farm):
- 6 English muffins*
- 1 jar pizza sauce or 1 large can tomato paste
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese
- 1 green pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 12 portobello mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 large can sliced black olives
- ½ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Pesto (optional)
- Split muffins in half.
- Place muffins on baking tray.
- Spread pizza sauce (or tomato paste, with a little water and dried basil added) on muffins.
- Add toppings of your choice.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 10-12 minutes or until done.
- Serve with a chopped green salad or fresh fruit salad.
- Serves 6. Enjoy!