Friday, January 1, 2010

Happy New Year!

Paradise greetings,

I'm watching the Rose Bowl Parade right now, enjoying all the marching bands and wonderful floats. I love a good parade, don't you?

Yesterday I stopped by Kayaks Etc. to see how our first kayak garden is growing. Kristen and Mike Beck had closed the shop a little early as they were out on the water somewhere on our beautiful Intercoastal Waterway enjoying the perfect 80 degree weather, paddling their way to the New Year.

What a wonderful launch it has been for Growing Healthy Kids. As I take a few days off to reflect on our accomplishments, I am in awe of the many kids whose lives we have touched. I am grateful for the lessons the children have taught me in my quest to make a difference for the millions of children at risk for diabetes, high blood pressure, heart disease, bone and joint disorders, and more because they are not at healthy weights. A big piece of solving this challenge is that adults must first look at their own risks if they are overweight and take action to live healthier lives. We must lead by example. It is the only choice we have to alter the pediatric obesity epidemic.

Are you leading by example as we begin this New Year 2010? Have you asked yourself, "What is my number one health goal and what can I do everyday to achieve it?" Are you at a healthy weight and if not, when are you going to start getting there?

We have so many fun things ahead of us in 2010 as Growing Healthy Kids builds gardens with children, teaches new healthy cooking classes, and creates new alliances. For now, I am going to enjoy the rest of the Rose Bowl Parade and Al Roker's corny parade jokes...HAPPY NEW YEAR, my friends.

To your perfect health,

Nancy Heinrich
Founder, Growing Healthy Kids