Thursday, December 24, 2009

Merry Christmas!


Paradise greetings,

Yesterday I stopped by one of the Boys and Girls Clubhouses with a new tomato plant for the garden. Just a small group of kids were there for the day. One girl, who has missed many of the Fridays (our usual afternoon for Growing Healthy Kids), was there for the day so she was glad to help me get the new plant tucked into its new home.

While she and I worked side by side, she told me about the tomato plant she took home several months ago when Growing Healthy Kids made container gardens in recycled one gallon jugs. She told me about the tomatoes she and her mom have been eating from it!

Then she shared about the farm her grandmother used to have and her voice sparkled with excitement!

She and I talked about things she can make with her own tomatoes. She is an amazing child, so full of life and possibilities! I am honored to know her and look forward to being able to give her more Growing Healthy Kids gifts in January!
As we gather tonight and tomorrow to celebrate Christmas together, enjoy the gift of life that has been given to each of us. I am so thankful for my family and friends. I am grateful for the joy that Growing Healthy Kids is bringing to children served by the Boys and Girls Clubs of Indian River County and by Youth Guidance Mentoring & Activities Program and am excited about the possibilities that are coming! What are YOU thankful for?
Growing Healthy Kids is here to improve the health - and lives - of children, one garden and one child at a time.

Merry Christmas to all!

Nancy Heinrich
Founder, Growing Healthy Kids