Wednesday, June 20, 2018

WELLNESS WEDNESDAYS: Writer's Block


"Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing." 
                                                                                                      --Benjamin Franklin

For the past 2 months, writing a weekly article for Wellness Wednesdays is something I have not been able to do. 

Image result for writers

I was talking with my kid about my writer’s block and you know what her comment was?  “Maybe you’ve written about everything, Mom.”  I have been asking myself if that is the case. 

The fact is I love to write.  I love the act of putting words together, checking and rechecking to ensure that each word has meaning.  I love creating powerful and thoughtful messages.  I love writing Wellness Wednesdays and researching inspirational quotes to use in every article.  I have come to the conclusion that I have not have written about everything. 

So why has it been so hard for me to write for the past 2 months?  I think part of it has to do with my concern for my mother.  She and I talk almost every evening on the phone, sometimes for an hour at a time.  Often we talk about food and how she does not have as much interest in cooking as she used to.  I worry about her, especially when she says, “My pants are looser now, Nancy.”  That is not a good sign when a woman who has always been at a healthy weight loses weight without trying.  We talk about how our taste buds change and food can lose its flavor.  We talk sometimes about using spices to flavor foods.  We talk about the importance of eating small meals throughout the day.  We talk about staying hydrated and drinking water. 

Soon, I will be flying to visit my mother and I will have the privilege of cooking for her.  My step-sister, Pam, will also be joining us from her home in Oregon.  Together, the 3 of us will scout for locally grown foods at the Farmers Market in New Albany, Indiana.  I will get to shop at Trader Joe's in Louisville (one of my favorite stores).  I am looking forward to creating new dishes using vegetables and fruits grown by farmers in southern Indiana.  During my visit I will create a summer eating plan for my mother, with the goal of adding several new ingredients and easy recipes to her repertoire. 

My mother with my nephews, Niels and Andreas, at her 90th birthday weekend, April 2018
I will be packing up organic spices, whole grains, and legumes to take along on my visit to my mother.  Now it is time to get back to writing Wellness Wednesdays.  Love to you all!

With love and gratitude,
Nancy Heinrich
Founder, Growing Healthy Kids, Inc.