- SHRED cabbage and jimaca in food processor (or use a hand grater).
- WHISK together remaining ingredients.
- MIX juice mixture with the vegetables, cover and place in fridge for at least 1 hour.
Wednesday, May 25, 2016
WELLNESS WEDNESDAYS: Favorite Cole Slaw Recipes
“If you can shred a vegetable, you can make slaw.”
--Chef Michael Glatz
Summertime is here and all kids deserve access to healthy foods. Here is a simple food idea that kids love to help make. Gather together the ingredients in this delicious Summer Slaw recipe. Put the kids in the back yard* with a grater, a head of red or green cabbage, and a big bowl. The key to most slaw recipes is to make them ahead of time, allowing the flavors marry in the fridge for at least an hour before serving.
GROWING HEALTHY KIDS: Our Recipe Collection
· ¼ head red cabbage
· ½ jimaca (or substitute rainbow carrots)
· ½ cup fresh squeezed orange juice
· 1/3 cup fresh squeezed lime juice
· 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
· 3 Tablespoons local honey
Founder, Growing Healthy Kids, Inc.
*Kids and cabbage can get a little messy, so taking this preparation step outside will keep your kitchen neat.
NOTE TO PARENTS: If using a mandoline for the cabbage, do this yourself. This kitchen tool is not for kids.