Wednesday, October 28, 2015

WELLNESS WEDNESDAYS: Happy Halloween!

"I like Pixie Sticks.  Yeah, screw the middle man.  Just a tube of sugar...I'd pour two of those in a big 12 ounce coke.  And I'd go out to catechism class and try to concentrate on the priest.  I saw Jesus several times.  I swear I did."                                  --Tim Allen




This time of year kids eagerly look forward to Halloween because “it is all about the candy.”  Parents know their kids will bounce off the walls if allowed to consume lots of sugary sweets all at once.  There has to be a way to set some boundaries that will make everyone, or at least most everyone (read: parents), happy. 

Depending on whether Halloween is on a school night or the weekend, let the kids have several pieces when they get home from trick or treating.  The next day, the “one-a-day rule” goes into effect for the month of November or until the candy is gone, whichever comes first. The one-a-day rule is the most sensible one that I know.  Kids enjoy their haul of candy, one piece at a time, and parents don’t have to deal with an out of control child on an extreme sugar high every day in November. 

I looked and looked before locating pretzel treats for the trick and treaters roaming my neighborhood this Halloween.  It felt like a huge victory to score something that did not contain food dyes or high fructose corn syrup or where sugar was the first ingredient listed on the nutrition facts label.    

Have a safe Halloween night...and enjoy the pretzels! 

In gratitude,
Nancy Heinrich
Founder, Growing Healthy Kids, Inc