Wednesday, July 22, 2015

WELLNESS WEDNESDAYS: Eating to be Healthy or Sick

“There is no need for temples, no need for complicated philosophy.  My brain and my heart are my temples, my philosophy is kindness.”  -- Dalai Lama

A friend of mine owns a local bakery with a great coffee bar.  He describes the colored packets of artificial sweeteners he stocks for customers as “little colored packets of cancer”.   Choose your poison. 

Fresh, local ground cherries (related to tomatillos) from my recent trip to Oregon.  


Eating well is about eating simply and seasonally.  It means planning meals based on the vegetables and fruits that are in season and grown within about a 50 mile radius of where I live.  Fresh spinach, watermelon, squash, beans, salad greens, heirloom tomatoes.  Give me some Purple Cherokees from Mark Smith’s farm and I am in heaven.  It is about having a well-stocked pantry of whole grains, legumes, and rice.  Extra virgin olive oil, avocado and coconut oils, almonds, sunflower seeds, and walnuts.  Add cans of coconut milk, fresh turmeric, garlic, ginger, lemons, limes, and Hass avocados and I am good to go!

Keep it simple.  Eat real food.  Buy from your local farmers.  To find a farmers market near you, click here.

Eat dinner with friends and family.  Give lots of hugs.  Be kind. 

In gratitude,
Nancy Heinrich

Founder, Growing Healthy Kids, Inc. 

PS - To learn how to stock your pantry with good foods for great health, send us an email at growinghealthykidsnow@gmail.com.  We'll rescue you and your food pantry!