This past week, the Growing Healthy Kids project has been teaching people of influence about healthy foods and fitness (see last week’s column about Instant Recess). Our goal is simple: to improve health literacy and prevent obesity-related diseases.
|QUINOA is a great grain for kids!|
- · 1 cup quinoa, rinsed
- · 2 cups water (or low sodium chicken-broth)
- · 1 cup grape tomatoes, cut in half
- · 1 medium zucchini, diced
- · ½ red onion, sliced thin
- · Fresh cilantro, parsley, or mint, chopped
- · Salt and pepper to taste
- · Juice of 2 lemons
- · 1/3 cup Braggs apple cider vinegar
- · 2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
In a large mixing bowl, combine cooled quinoa with remaining ingredients. Toss to mix thoroughly.
Serve chilled on a bed of locally grown greens. This makes a great lunch for kids at school and parents at work!
To learn how you can support your local food bank, go to click here.