|Half of your lunch and dinner plate should be fruits and veggies.|
|Lentil burger on a whole grain flatbread bun.|
- Fiber is what fills us up and prevents us from overeating.
- Fiber is the GOOD kind of carbohydrate.
- It is only found in plant foods.
- It is NOT found in foods that come from animals.
- Every day we need 14 grams of fiber per 1,000 calories consumed (around 28 grams of fiber based on 2,000 calories a day).
- As you increase your dietary fiber, increase the amount of water you drink.
- Read food labels of the foods your kids eat most often to check for grams of dietary fiber.
- Use “THE NANCY RULE” for buying breads and pastas:
- Choose products with 4 OR MORE grams of dietary fiber per slice or per serving AND
- The first ingredient includes the word “WHOLE”.