Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Breakfast of Champions

I've had a lot of fun reading my current library book: The French Women Don't Get Fat Cookbook by Mireille Guiliano. The former president and CEO of Clicquot, Inc., Guilano said, "I am still not a fan of big breakfasts, but am a devotee of and convert to balanced breakfasts (and lunch and dinner): some protein, some carbohydrates, some fat (a holy trinity of sorts), and fluids. I often do eat a slice (or slivers) of cheese. And, I consider breakfast the most important meal of the day. Don't skip it or your wheels tend to come off in a hurry."

Guiliano specifically used the word "balanced" in describing her relationship to food. She writes elegantly of the same issue I teach in Growing Healthy Kids workshops, that if you want to get to (and stay at) a healthy weight, you must eat small meals and small snacks, including breakfast: BALANCED meals.

So, once again, I ask you, "What are you having for breakfast today? Do you have a little protein, some carbohydrate, and a little fat on your breakfast plate?"

You can visit Mireille Guiliano online at www.FrenchWomenDontGetFat.com.

Growing Healthy Kids is a movement to improve the health - and lives - of America's children by restoring balance to what we eat. Because failure to reverse the childhood obesity epidemic is not an option.

To learn how you can support our educational programs, please visit www.GrowingHealthyKids.me.

Thanks,
Nancy Heinrich
Founder, Growing Healthy Kids