Wednesday, November 10, 2021

WELLNESS WEDNESDAYS: Fall Colors

Trees 

by Joyce Kilmer

   I think I shall never see

a poem lovely as a tree.

A tree whose hungry mouth is prest

Against the earth's sweet flowing breast;

A tree that looks at God all day,

And lifts her leafy arms to pray;

A tree that may in Summer wear

A nest of robins in her hair;

Upon whose bosom snow has lain,

Who intimately lives with rain.

Poems are made by fools like me,

But only God can make a tree.




Fall is a spectacular season.  I am grateful for the opportunity to experience it as I care for my mother in her Indiana home.  As trees make the transition between summer and winter, I am in awe of God’s beauty.  The colors change from pale to brilliant. Greens change to yellow, orange, red, and brown. Every day is a new color palette.  

These fall colors remind me of the mantra in our Growing Healthy Kids workshops for children and parents:  Eat rainbows. Eat foods of many colors, for they contain different vitamins and minerals that complement each other.

Some of the colorful and locally grown foods I have used in the past week’s meals include: napa cabbage, bok choy, spaghetti squash, butternut squash, zucchini, red and yellow Italian peppers, spinach, garlic, heirloom tomatoes, onions, yellow beets, and beet greens. 

What colors are on your plate?

With love and kindness,

Nancy Heinrich, MPH

Founder and Wellness Architect

Photo locations:  Culbertson Mansion on Main Street and Baptist Floyd Hospital on State Street, New Albany, Indiana