Wednesday, September 13, 2017

WELLNESS WEDNESDAYS: My Favorite Dressing

"We are all farmers tending a little part of the Lord's vineyard."  
                                                                       --Sheri L. Drew

Visiting farmers markets when I travel gives me great joy.  The Saturday morning market in New Albany, Indiana is one of my favorites.   In the heart of downtown New Albany, it is a wonderful open-air market.  Amish farmers come with their organically grown cucumbers and beans.  Farmers growing hydroponic vegetables sell beautiful basil and dark Romaine lettuce.  Local bakers bring their finest pies made with ingredients such as locally grown strawberries and rhubarb.  Pure heaven!



On a recent visit to the New Albany Farmers Market, I bought some honey from local beekeepers Mike and Paula Whisman to use in several recipes, such as my favorite vinaigrette that I make every week.  Honey from bees close to where you live can provide relief if you have allergies; I forget where I picked up this little tidbit of information but I swear by it. 

Honey from Mike and Paula Whisman at the New Albany Farmers Market in Indiana.  

Honey is a key ingredients in my favorite, simple vinaigrette dressing for green salads.  I make a small container of this dressing fresh every morning when I am lucky enough to take a salad for lunch at work.  It is always delicious! 

Growing Healthy Kids:  Our Recipe Collection
The Best Vinaigrette Dressing!

MIX together in a small glass or plastic container:
  • 3 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil or avocado oil
  • 2 Tablespoons of your favorite vinegar* 
  • 1 teaspoon local honey
  • Pink Himalayan sea salt, to taste
  • Freshly ground black pepper, to taste

COVER and shake vigorously.
SERVE with your favorite green or pasta salad.
STORE unused dressing at room temperature for up to 3 days. 

Please pass the sunflower microgreens. 

With love and gratitude,
Nancy L. Heinrich, MPH

Founder, Growing Healthy Kids, Inc. 

*One of my favorite vinegars is Bragg's Organic Apple Cider Vinegar.