My best friend, Chris Ann, surprised me this summer when she invited me to celebrate my birthday at a great little restaurant called "Three Doors Down from Nancy". The restaurant was, indeed, three doors down from Nancy, which turned out to be a little dress shop. I asked Chris Ann to take this picture of me because, come on, how often does something this cool happen to yours truly? What magical experiences have YOU had during your summer vacation?
Now that it is the end of August, it is back to school for parents who can lead by example with healthy eating habits. Back to school for the kids means alarm clocks, getting a healthy breakfast before leaving the house, and packing a school lunch. I talked about school lunches last week, so let's back up and talk about breakfast.
Does your breakfast include some protein?
- Breakfast is our first meal of the day.
- It literally means “break the fast” after not eating all night. Breakfast is the meal that gives our bodies and minds the energy to get up and go.
- When you skip breakfast, you do more harm than good.
- Kids who do not have breakfast do not perform as well in school.
- Choosing a breakfasts with either soluble fiber (found in oats, apples, and pears) or insoluble fiber (found in whole grain breads and waffles) actually protects you against blood sugar spikes and crashes later in the day.
|Bob's Red Mill Steel Cut Oats make a delicious - and healthy - start to the day!|
|SOAR LIKE AN EAGLE THIS YEAR AT SCHOOL! This is a picture I took recently in Sebastian, Florida.|