Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Author Debbie Macomber Meets Growing Healthy Kids

Today was an awesome day! Just after finishing last minute details with the planning committee for A Fashion of Fusion and Fun (the first annual event for Growing Healthy Kids to be held at the exclusive Windsor Beach Club in Vero Beach!), I dashed to Panera's to tape a radio interview with Rhett Palmer (www.RhettPalmer.com). As Rhett concluded our interview, local resident and writer extraordinaire Debbie Macomber (www.DebbieMacomber.com) walked over to say "hi". Rhett introduced me to Debbie and shared with her about Growing Healthy Kids' work and programs educating adults and children.

Debbie immediately connected to what I told her. She said that as a child she always thought she was overweight. She said as an adult when she looked back at pictures of herself as a child, she realized that she wasn't overweight, but that her self-image was influenced by others and by the media.

Let's start by being honest with ourselves in assessing our current state of health. Do my clothes fit too snug? What do I look like in my birthday suit? Would my blood pressure come down if I lost a few of these extra pounds? (answer: yes) Do I run out of energy and stamina before everyone else? Do I think it's OK to be overweight just because everyone around me is?

If we are going to help kids get to and stay at healthier weight, we have to help ourselves. Take a look at yourself - literally! Check your Body Mass Index (BMI) at http://www.cdc.gov/healthyweight/index.html. If we are going to reverse the childhood obesity epidemic that threatens the health - and lives - of millions of American children, then ask yourself this question: am I one of the 2 in 3 American adults who is overweight or obese and if so, what am I willing to do about it?

Growing Healthy Kids is a movement to improve the health - and lives - of America's children, one child and one garden at a time. Will you join us?

For tickets to A Fusion of Fashion and Fun next Tuesday, February 1, go to www.IRCulture.com/gala.cfm or call 772-359-8382.

To your perfect health,
Nancy Heinrich
Founder, Growing Healthy Kids

For more resources and tips you can use:
http://www.growinghealthykids.me/
http://www.healthydiabetescoach.com/