Wednesday, June 23, 2021

WELLNESS WEDNESDAYS: Celebrating Farmers and Chefs

"We have neglected the truth that a good farmer is a craftsman of the highest order, a kind of artist."  

                                                                                          --Wendell Berry


Most Saturdays, I am at the local farmers market. I love to see what is in season, what farmers are growing and selling, and then create beautiful, delicious, and healthy dishes using those treasures.  Those who get up hours before dawn to pack a truck filled with freshly harvested salad greens, summer squash, cabbage, and cheddar cauliflower, to drive an hour or two to the farmers market to then unload, display, and sell their agricultural treasures to waiting fans are my heroes.  When summer’s heirloom tomatoes first appear, it is always a miracle – nothing tops a Purple Cherokee tomato for summer freshness!  The first time I discovered organic wasabi arugula, I was in heaven with this new flavor and the possibilities it offered in summer salads.  Surprises always await at the farmers market. 

On those occasions when I choose to eat out, I seek restaurants whose chefs feature locally grown seasonal foods on their menus.  I will never forget dining in Asheville, NC while attending a local growers conference and having grilled maitake mushrooms served on a bed of pureed parsnips.  What a great meal!  One of my personal beliefs is to always buy the best ingredients you can afford and so eating out is always a treat when chefs do the same. 

Every day I honor the farmers who grow food and the chefs who create amazing ways for it to be enjoyed.  Good food is an essential ingredient for health.  My life is so much better because of those who grow our food and those who create masterpieces in the kitchen. Thank you!  

With love and kindness,

Nancy Heinrich, MPH

Founder and Wellness Architect