"Children need models rather than critics."
According to Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, obesity now affects 1 in 5 children and adolescents in the U.S. Consequences of childhood obesity include:
· High blood pressure and high cholesterol, which are risk factors for cardiovascular disease
· Increased risk of impaired glucose tolerance, insulin resistance, and type 2 diabetes
· Breathing problems, such as asthma and sleep apnea
· Joint problems and musculoskeletal discomfort
· Fatty liver disease, gallstones, and gastro-esophageal reflux (i.e., heartburn)
Childhood obesity is also related to:
· Psychological problems such as anxiety and depression
· Low self-esteem and lower self-reported quality of life
· Being bullied and the stigma of being fat and unhealthy
Growing Healthy Kids, Inc., is dedicated to raising awareness about the importance of all children having access to healthy, locally grown, organic food and the value of regular exercise and a good night’s sleep. Our programs are designed to inspire children and educate parents to find joy in creating and enjoying healthy and easy family meals together. This year is a year to bring families to the dinner table over simple dishes. We will talk with local farmers, sharing their stories. While our workshops remain on hold (see above picture from pre-COVID adventures to the Vero Beach Farmers Market), we will continue sharing delicious kid-tested recipes from the Growing Healthy Kids Test Kitchen.
Our focus is on improving the health and lives of America’s children, one child at a time. We are here to serve you.
To contact us, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. We look forward to hearing from you this year!
With love and kindness,
Nancy Heinrich, MPH
Founder and Wellness Architect