Sunday, November 27, 2011

Year-End Goals

December 31, 2011 will soon be here.  Have you accomplished all that you wanted to do this year?  I'll share a few thoughts with you as I enjoy the perfect weather today in Florida, writing while the fresh air blows through the house.

A gentle reminder about achieving your goals is in order.  Having written goals for your health, your family, your personal development and for your work is a great place to begin.  Pull out the goals you have already written and see if you are moving forward in each area.  If you don't have any written goals, then get out a piece of paper and write some.  Go to a quiet place today, before we get back to the crazy-busy work and school routines tomorrow. Reflect on where you are now and where you want to be.  Think about what you want.  Write it down.  Visualize it.  Picture it your mind how it will look.  Act as though it is already done. 

I am reflecting on one of my 2011 goals which is to get the Growing Healthy Kids work into book form and have it ready for distribution on the http://www.growinghealthykids.me/ store in December.  I'm almost there.  Now we're looking for a couple of people with a national presence to write notes for the back of the book.  Who do you know?? 

Every day I think about this goal and what I am doing to move the project forward.  So many people have been asking me to do a book that brings the lessons we teach in each Growing Healthy Kids program together into a format they can share with others, beginning with the kids' favorite recipes.   Each healthy cooking program we do for kids includes a recipe, a healthy eating tip, and a physical activity component.  It is a lot of work to summarize the work and energy.  I hope you will be pleased with the results.  Preventing obesity-related diseases seen primarily in adults is the focus of the Growing Healthy Kids movement I started.  It is an ambitious project because this country values treatment of disease more than prevention of disease.  Yet, our mantra is still, "Think globally and act locally."  With every local Growing Healthy Kids project we do in Indian River County, we are thinking globally about ways to reverse childhood obesity. 

As I continue to bring this project (and goal) to completion, I want you to think about what you need to move your own goals forward to completion.  Let's get some wins in before the end of the year.  I want to hear about your goals that involve improving your health or your kids' health.  Please send me a comment so we can support each other to achieve our goals! 

Growing Healthy Kids is dedicated to improving the health - and lives - of America's kids, one child and one garden at a time.

To your health!
Nancy Heinrich
Founder, Growing Healthy Kids