Sunday, August 1, 2010

Healthy Snack Attack a Hit at Back to School Bash

Paradise Greetings,

Yesterday morning the Back to School Bash at the Sheriff's Office was a blast. Over 800 backpacks, including school supplies, were given out to kids. In record time! After I had the Growing Healthy Kids Healthy Snack station set up and ready for action, I walked across the street to where kids, parents, and grandparents were congregating under the shady oak trees. I introduced myself to a couple of families and invited the kids to come by and learn how to make healthy snacks. I saw a number of kids who saw me first and remembered me from the monthly events I've done the past year for kids served by Youth Guidance waiting to be paired with mentors.

Several boys tugged at my heart when I saw them, gave them a hug, and asked if they had been paired up with a mentor since the last time I'd seen them. Both boys hung their heads down and each had the same reaction as they quietly said, "No."

People say it takes a village to raise a child. I believe that. When you meet some of these kids who have a tough go of it at home, in their life's circumstances to date through no fault of their own, you want to connect them with what they need so they wake up with a smile every day.

This is why I approached Youth Guidance last year and suggested that we partner to create monthly events where the kids learn something fun and adults get to meet some of the kids looking for mentors willing to commit an hour or two a week in the life of a child. I'm sharing this with you ("the world") because I am now planning 2010-2011's programs. Some of you reading this will commit to be a mentor or find the person you know who is waiting for you to ask them to be a mentor.

It IS all about the kids. Some kids need more help than others. Like the boys I saw again yesterday. They need good, strong role models. We need a couple of good men to step forward. Are YOU the one the boys are waiting for?

Growing Healthy Kids - improving the health - and lives - of America's kids, one child and one garden at a time.

To your perfect health.
Nancy Heinrich
Founder, Growing Healthy Kids